CHURCH WORLD SERVICE

28606 Phillips St.

P.O. Box 968

Elkhart, IN  46515

800-297-1516

info@cwsglobal.org

    Special Offering for May 2020



Church World Service was born in 1946, in the aftermath of World War II. Seventeen denominations came together to form an agency "to do in partnership what none of us could hope to do as well alone." The mission: Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, comfort the aged, shelter the homeless.  More than 70 years later the mission remains, though where and how we accomplish it has changed dramatically.

 

CWS work in international emergency response and development through the 1970s and 1980s focused on working in partnership with other NGO’s and with local groups. In some instances this led to the creation of new, independent organizations such as the Middle East Council of Churches, the Christian Commission for Development in Bangladesh or CEPAD in Nicaragua. Working in partnership remains one of the hallmarks of CWS work. These groups remain valued partners to CWS.

More recently, CWS was one of the founding members of a global partnership of faith-based humanitarian agencies, ACT Alliance, with members in 140 countries. With 130 member organizations, ACT Alliance provides a dynamic environment for collaboration in responding to human needs around the world. By working together agencies can maximize their impact.